City Academy Norwich is celebrating following the Academy being awarded the prestigious Association of Physical Education (afPE) quality mark with Distinction, making it one of the leading schools in the country for PE, school sports and physical activity (PESSPA).
Created in 2013, The quality mark is awarded to schools that can demonstrate a commitment to high quality PE. It follows a rigorous self-review and independent evaluation process, measuring the strength and quality of physical education and sport within the academy.
The award is the bench mark and industry standard for high quality PE provision.
Following a rigorous process involving a detailed application form, a full day’s inspection visit plus student and staff interviews, the Chair of afPE, Michael Crichton citation’s included:
- A PE department commitment to continuous improvement, fully and positively supported and endorsed by the Senior Leadership Team.
- A shared and cohesive vision that has PE, school sport and physical activity at the heart of whole school development and improvement.
- Outstanding leadership and management.
- Impressive and robust evidence sources to identify impact and target development and improvements to PESSPA provision.
- Excellent links to the community and families.
- Comprehensive range of activities, interventions, and pursuits on offer that support inclusivity.
- Highly effective links between PESSPA and wellbeing including a very innovative approach to COVID-19 recovery since lock down 1.
Neil Moggan, Director of Sport, Health & PSHE at CAN said: “As a school we have been working relentlessly towards this goal for the last four years. We have focused on improving both the physical and mental health & wellbeing of our young people with some highly innovative strategies. This award is fantastic recognition of all the hard work put in by a large number of people throughout the school community to transform the life chances of young people within our school and in the wider community, including the great work of the Norwich School Sports Partnership based here at CAN. It is brilliant to give all our stakeholders a school to be proud of.”
Paul Collin, Headteacher of CAN said: “We are thrilled to be awarded distinction for physical education from (afPE). This is the culmination of several years’ intensive hard work from our sports department led by Mr Moggan. The team has worked with a huge range of stakeholders in supporting both traditional sports and physical education but also promoting health and mental fitness across the Academy. I am so proud of the difference that this has had and is continuing to make to our young people’s daily input and the greater affect it has across the school. City Academy Norwich continues to change a reputation it once had, demonstrating our commitment to education for every child. We are the only academy within the local and wider community to be offered such a high level award which demonstrates how our school is leading the way across Norfolk in physical education.”